Holy shit! That’s exactly what you wanted to say when you all got nominated yourselves, and you know it! I have been wanting to write that for days now! I am just so behind in all areas of my life that there’s a little voice in my head shrieking epic failure at me this week. Seriously. She sounds a lot like Valerie (Miracle Max’s wife) in The Princess Bride. Gosh, I love that movie, but it’s very distracting having it show up in your head with some pretty mean accusations, I will tell you. Leave me ‘lone, already!
But I am back to reality now, and I am here to say thank you to a blogging buddy Kayrayiam who nominated my humble little blog for The Liebster Award. If you are wondering what the hell this award is, well so was I.
Here’s what my thorough research uncovered:
The Liebster Award is a nomination given from one blogger to another new-to-the-scene blogger in recognition of their efforts (or in some of our cases, it’s a recognition of the daily struggles that necessitate our therapeutic writing/ranting). The recipient should thank the nominator and link back to their blog. The recipient then responds to their questions, provides 11 random facts about themselves (am I the only one thinking that’s a very specific number, y’all?), and last, but not least, that blogger then gets to nominate 5-11 blogs themselves, plus grill their nominees with 11 questions of their own. So fun, right!?
So, here goes nothing! As previously mentioned, my nomination comes from Kayrayiam, and I couldn’t be more flattered. She and I are both very new to the blogging world, and when she reached out I immediately felt a we-are-in-this-shit-together, kindred-spirit bond. She’s smart and witty and dammit, she’s good at what she does! She’s a travel (gypsy) nurse, which is fascinating to me, because it’s a thousand times more interesting than my boring day job. Better yet, she’s someone who is bravely staring down the daunting prospect of dating, while I still stand at the edge of the kiddie pool, afraid to even dip in one damn toe. Thank you, Kayray – this means the world to me!
To answer your questions:
- Q: What or who inspired you to write a blog? A: Truthfully, I had never considered writing a blog until I was doing research on how a big nobody (that’s me) could get a toehold in the writing community. You see, I have this little ol’ novel I’ve been chipping away at for like 7 years. YES. I know. It seems like I am super lazy, but the real issue is that I am not good at pushing away the distractions of my “real life” responsibilities, even though writing is the one thing in this world I could truly be passionate about doing. It’s so illogical to me, especially because I think I might have just a bit of talent if I could only get the heck out of my own way. So, in any case, one of the strong recommendations for nobody-writers hoping to get noticed is to start a blog. And, I thought, well hell, nobody will read it, but at least I can point it out to prospective literary agents to demonstrate that I can consistently make myself sit down and put pen-to-paper, so to speak. But, to my surprise, a small, select group of people actually do read my blog, and I couldn’t be more flattered! And hey, if any literary agent out there sees this and is interested, please get in touch! I am writing a strong, multi-dimensional heroine who has more sass and grit and conviction than actual skills. She’s a woman after my own heart, through and through.
- Q: How long have you been blogging? A: About five months. It’s been such a fun journey!
- Q: What do you do, or did you do in your life as a job? A: Well, I can’t talk specifics, because I do complain about both my day-jobs (that pay the bills) quite a bit. In my full-time gig, I am a midlevel manager, meaning nothing really. I’m not treated well by the people “above” me and I have to deal with the bullshit of the one or two people I actually outrank at my organization. It’s like being between a rock and a hard place ALL THE TIME.
- Q: How did you come up with the name of your blog? Well, the name Vivienne Frist is a nom de plume that came to me many years ago, and even though I never wrote it down, it stayed with me for years. It lived inside of my heart with all of the characters in my novel. I loved how crisp and brittle and proper the name sounds, even though, let’s face it, I am as snarky as shit in reality. When I wanted to start a blog I was in a place of great hope for the future, and I wanted to celebrate my whacky spirit, so I thought the word “vivify” really describes and encompasses my personality, thus Life Vivified was born.
- Q: What are your hobbies? A: Hobbies? Who has time for hobbies? Seriously though – this is my hobby until I can make the magic happen. Outside of this, I have a passion for treasure-hunting (shopping for antiques or vintage household items). I do love to travel, but I’ve sacrificed it the past two years to use my vacation time for writing. And, I love yoga. Most of the time.
- Q: What is your favorite song ever, and why? A: Pass. I can’t answer this! It changes day-to-day, because I am a flaky woman who can’t even commit to a song!
- Q: Which do you prefer dogs or cats? A: This is a shocker, but I’m a dog-person living in a cat’s world. Seriously. I love my little monsters, but I grew up with both, and always thought I’d have dogs as an adult. This particular apartment allowed cats though, and I thought, why not? Okay, that’s not what I really thought at the time as is evident in my very first blog post ever.
- Q: Where are you originally from and where do you live now? A: I’m from a small, snowy town of little consequence in the northeastern part of this country. Family aside, it was a pretty idyllic place to grow up, which I still think fondly of. Now I live in Washington, DC, and I don’t love it. I’m bored with it. Any suggestions for a new locale, should I eventually become a writer who can live anywhere she pleases?
- Q: If you had only three wishes, what would you wish for? A: Hmmm, okay. I would wish for a happy life. I deserve it after all these years of struggle. I would wish for a successful (financially and otherwise) writing career, because, well, what else do I dream of every night? I would wish for the strength and bravery to make the first two happen, no matter what. That’s what I wish for. Every. Day. Of. My. Life.
- Q: What is your addiction? A: I am addicted to healthy habits. I want to take good care of myself. Particularly, I drink green/white tea every single day. I’m telling you, it is magic! I still have allergies and get sinus infections, but I haven’t had a cold or respiratory flu in about ten years. Is it the tea? I don’t know, don’t care. I think it is though.
- Q: Who is your favorite blogger and why? A: Honestly, like most everyone else I read, it’s The Bloggess. She’s a wonderful spirit and her community is full of good people. I was first introduced to her when her post on Beyonce the Big Metal Chicken went viral, and a co-workers’s wife (a very conservative Christian, ironically enough) forwarded it to him, and he forwarded it to the rest of us, and I laughed my ass off, not even caring that the word “fuck” (in all its magical forms) was blaring across my computer screen at the office. It might’ve been worth losing that terrible job over. Maybe. But, I’ve been a loyal reader ever since.
Eleven random facts, in no particular order:
- I’m a huge, off-the-charts extrovert, but most days I am so overstimulated by the people I interact with at my real jobs that I just need to stay in for quiet evenings/ weekends with my two kitten-monsters.
- I secretly wish I’d become a professional ballroom dancer. Not sure why, because I’ve had no formal dance classes, but hey, why not?
- I have a mental list going at all times about the ways I do NOT want to die. Eaten alive? Buried alive? Yeah, the list sometimes gets rearranged priority-wise, but there’s always a list.
- Sometimes when I am on public transportation or walking down the street I make up backstories for the people I see. Sometimes I build those characters into my novel.
- I am repulsed by reality television. It just became too much and since it’s almost the only thing on these days, I am in mourning for quality programming or even the silly shows of days gone by.
- I program little sayings onto my calendar almost daily to give me hope and encouragement.
- I love Antiques Roadshow, because it sucks me in and won’t let me turn away. I secretly hope one day I’ll find that awesome, well, find, that blows me and everybody else away!
- I often worry about whether or not I would survive the zombie apocalypse with no real survivor skills. I cannot make a fire without matches, no, so I think I’m fucked.
- I’m feeling relieved to be just about done with this list.
- I talk to the kittens like they’re people and I don’t care who hears it.
- I hate doing laundry – in particular, folding laundry – like nobody’s business.
And now, drum roll, puh-leaseeeeee. Outside of the fabulous long-running blogs I read, I would hereby be honored to nominate the following new-ish blogs for The Liebster Award:
- The Shameful Sheep – what can I say? She’s a huge go-to blog for me. I adore her! She’s raucous and just tells it like it is. Oh, and she’s hilarious. Read her, and you too will think she’d be the perfect person to shoot the shit with at boozy brunch every weekend.
- My Life in Rambles – I’ve just recently connected with this very new blogger, and she is fan-friggin-tastic! She’s hilarious, and very new to the blogging scene. Welcome! Hope we don’t scare you off, because the world needs you.
- 1 Life Laughing – Honestly, what’s not to love about someone with a wonderful, self-deprecating sense of humor? And, our hairs have similar personality types too, so I know she gets me. I don’t know how we found each other, but I am so glad we did!
- Bad Yogi DC – Well, he doesn’t know that I know him, so this should be a fun game, huh? I actually take his yoga class and I have to say, he’s a walking paradox, if ever there was one. You see, his blog is all serious, you know? Very meditative. Why? Because he wants us to live our best lives, and he knows that requires quite a bit of self-reflection. But, in his classes? Well, the man is hilarious. He’s the only yoga teacher I’ve ever had who curses, like A LOT. His energy is infectious, and somehow that’s a very comfortable place for me to be. Go figure, right? I often think we’d make for an awesome stand-up comedy duo, except I’m terrified of comedians in the same way I’m scared of mimes and clowns. It’s not going to happen. But, if you’re ever in DC, make sure to check out one of his classes.
- Behind These Hazel Eyes – Hazel is someone who blogs about her life with bipolar disorder, and she does so with so much wit and humor it amazes me. The post about thinking she was being dumped by her therapist had me laughing hysterically, even though at its core, it’s a very serious subject.
- Japonicanyc – This blogger writes posts about a world I have never lived in, and yet I find myself nodding in agreement (and outrage) at the big brands out there that are taking over the whole world! Sometimes, I too am drawn to them like a small child to a shiny object, and for what, I ask you? In any case, this blogger and I share a love of old, vintage-y things, and that makes my heart happy.
- Daily Frances – I think I first discovered this blogger when she posted a helpful picture tutorial for those stupid little symbols on our clothing tags, and I was laughing so hard I almost peed myself. Seriously. It was that funny. And, it makes me want pizza every time I look at my clothes and highly suspicious every time I see my iron, go figure. If you check out that post, you’ll know what I mean.
And, here are your questions, if you dare to respond (wah-hah-hah-hah!):
- How did you get into blogging?
- If you could have one superpower (real or imagined) what would it be and why?
- What are your long-term goals in life?
- If you could live within the setting of one television show or movie, what would it be and why?
- Same question, but pertaining to the setting of a story or book?
- Which of all your own blog posts, is your favorite?
- How did you come up with the name for your blog?
- If you were going to own an exotic pet (in theory only – we know wild animals do not make good pets), what would it be and why?
- If you could spend a day with one person (real or fictional), who would it be and why?
- If you won the lottery today, what would you do tomorrow?
- What makes you happiest in this world?
So, that’s my story, peeps. I hope you hung in there with me through this long journey. By the way, if anyone wants to answer these questions in the comments, by all means, have at it. I’d love to read them!